Turn down the lights, cue the inspirational music and let’s get down to business. Today, December 28, 2010, marks the launch of the HaymarketNOW! website. Conceived by the West Haymarket Joint Public Agency (JPA) as a hub for "all things West Haymarket," the goal of HaymarketNOW! is to keep the public informed on the progress of the new West Haymarket arena project. Visitors to this site can expect regular updates regarding the West Haymarket arena project, key players and important milestones. In addition, the website will serve as a resource for all other project materials including the latest JPA documents and reports, requests for proposals (RFPs) and project budget information.
For our inaugural post, we thought it would be fitting to look back at the events that brought us to where we are today. So, conjure up your best sentimental inner-monologue and start reminiscing!
- WRK of Lincoln is selected as the lead developer for the West Haymarket redevelopment. WRK and its partner, Woodbury Corporation of Salt Lake City, Utah will be responsible for the development of the retail, housing, restaurants, offices and hotel that are slated to surround the new arena.
- Lincoln voters pass arena proposal, approving the construction of a new Haymarket arena and thus endorsing the development of the entire West Haymarket area.
- The three-member Joint Public Agency (JPA) is formed. The agency’s primary role is to issue bonds, collect revenue and make bond payments. Helping to ensure project transparency is also a listed goal of the group. Members are: Mayor Chris Beutler, Lincoln City Councilwoman Jayne Snyder and University of Nebraska Regent Tim Clare.
- The JPA holds its first official meeting.
- Benham Companies of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma is selected to perform program management duties for the arena project. Benham Companies will be responsible for the oversight of the entire West Haymarket Redevelopment Project.
- CSL Marketing of Plano, Texas is selected as the marketing firm for the new Haymarket Arena. CSL will be responsible for the sale of the arena’s naming rights as well as the selling of arena signage and premium seating.
- DLR Group of Omaha is selected as the architectural firm for the new Haymarket arena. The firm will be responsible for the design of the arena and for overseeing the arena’s construction process.
- The Lincoln City Council approves the purchase of land that makes up the development’s future site. The agreement entails that the city is responsible for reimbursing Burlington Northern Santa Fe the costs associated with moving its current tracks to the west.
- T.J. Osborn Construction of Lincoln is selected to complete the West Haymarket utility relocation project. T.J. Osborn will be responsible for the sanitary sewer work that must be completed before the process of removing train tracks can begin.
- Thought District of Lincoln is selected as a marketing consultant for the West Haymarket Joint Public Agency.
- Mortenson Construction of Minneapolis, Minnesota is selected as the construction manager at risk for the new Haymarket Arena. Mortenson and its partner, Hampton Enterprises of Lincoln, will be responsible for the general construction of the West Haymarket Arena.
- Work commences on the site of the future West Haymarket Arena. BNSF begins the grading and relocation of tracks while T.J. Osborn Construction Co. begins the digging required for the new arena’s sewer work.
These events have led us to where we are today – pleased with the steps that have been made thus far and eager for the progress that is yet to come. And when that progress occurs, Haymarket NOW! will be here keep you informed with the latest photos, updates and reports so that you can stay up to date and ‘in the know’. If there’s ever something that you can’t find, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll try to post it as soon as possible. Because that’s what this website is for – you!
- Haymarket NOW!